05 simple steps to adopt a sustainable lifestyle
There has been a lot of buzz around ‘sustainability’ in recent times. Owing to the increase in environmental awareness among many, a shift in the outlook toward sustainable practices can be noticed. But why must one shift toward a greener lifestyle?
The answer lies in the definition of the term itself. A community that lives to the fullest, keeping in mind the growth and needs of its future generations is known to be living a sustainable lifestyle. Not only does it help the environment but also helps in an individual’s social and economic goals, i.e. if you save more, you and everyone else can also have more!
To make it easier for you to follow, we have compiled a list of 5 simple steps you can take to adopt a sustainable lifestyle:
1. Home: As the age old saying goes, ‘Change begins with you.’ And where better to start than your home? Small shifts in your daily lifestyle can ripple toward creating a more healthier, wiser planet.
Here are some of the practices you can try out for a switch to sustainable living.
- Save energy by switching off lights, fans, ACs, etc when not in use. Also do not forget to plunge your device after they are charged or not in your everyday use.
- Look for reusable alternatives for items especially made of plastic such as bottles, plates, etc.
- Opt for eco-friendly cleaning materials and personal care products.
- Install renewable energy sources such as solar panels, which can help you reduce your carbon footprint.
- Donate items that you don’t need such as clothes, toys, etc.
2. Wardrobe: You’d be surprised to know that a number of new fashion brands are now choosing to go eco-friendly. This means that from the inception to the final piece of clothing that reaches you, the process is entirely sustainable.
Swapping your wardrobe for greener alternatives can help you save excess water that is required for washing your clothes everyday, and are long lasting. They also come in trendy styles so that you can be environmentally conscious while looking chic.
3. Kitchen: A considerable amount of waste is accumulated in the kitchen due to leftover food from the various meals. Strive toward a zero wastage kitchen goal, where you cook food in the necessary quantities. In case of extra food, store it in reusable containers to be consumed the next day.
Always make it a habit to segregate your wastes as dry and wet for a proper waste disposal practice.
4. Commute: You don’t even realise how much of a change you can bring about by reducing your commute via motor vehicles. So the next time you have to run quick errands and do not need to go too far, pick up that cycle or walk on foot.
Apart from being extremely good for your health, it also helps reduce your carbon emissions. Make it a habit to avail public transport or carpool whenever you can.
5. Shopping: Always carry a reusable bag on you before you go shopping. Saying no to plastic bags is a practice everyone should make a part of their daily routine for a positive impact on the environment.
Discourage paper receipts and shift toward e-receipts whenever possible.
See, it’s exactly that simple to lead a more environmentally responsible life. Do you have any other suggestions or want to share with us your journey toward a sustainable living? Do feel free to reach out to us in the comment section below.
Let us strive to leave this planet a much greener and happier place for generations to follow!